Meeting Notes #1
Introduction and Prayer – each team member will share about his/her family and how to pray for you in getting prepared for the expedition
Trip Goals – learn about the 25 Project, expedition and team goals
25 Project goals & core values
• Compelled by the Gospel, we seek to bring hope and healing to the least of these.
Jesus speaks of the “least of these” in Matthew 25, and says that when we care for this group of people, that we actually care for Jesus Himself. It is from these words in Matthew 25, and the calling of God, that the ministry of the 25 Project was born and exists.
Expedition goals for team members
• Messengers of the Gospel – that everyone we meet will be presented with the Gospel
• Models of the Christ life – the Christ life will be on display in both actions and words
• Mentors of potential leaders – identify, inspire and develop potential leaders
Daily goals for team members
• Evangelism – use opportunities to share the Gospel daily personally and as a group
• Discipleship – identify believers and develop deeper relationships with Christ in them
Expenses for team members
• Team members are responsible to pay passport, vaccination, country visa or entry fees, as well as, any travel incidentals (meals in the airports, transportation to airport in the States)
• During the expedition team members are responsible to pay any flight weather delay, natural disaster, or emergency costs for additional lodging, meals or expenses that may occur
When Helping Hurts – discuss questions from Discussion #1 – WHH Ch 1
WHH CHAPTER 1 QUESTIONS
- Why did Jesus come to earth?
- For what specific sins was Old Testament Israel sent into captivity?
- How many dollars does the average American live on vs 40% of the world?
- What is the primary task of the church?
Preparing Your Heart – discuss preparing your heart and mind for the expedition
• Be Flexible – keep this always on your mind, begin praying now
• You Will Struggle – it is normal, expected & right where you should be (read Luke 11 & James 5 to team)
5 And he said to them, “Which of you who has a friend will go to him at midnight and say to him, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves, 6 for a friend of mine has arrived on a journey, and I have nothing to set before him’; 7 and he will answer from within, ‘Do not bother me; the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed. I cannot get up and give you anything’? 8 I tell you, though he will not get up and give him anything because he is his friend, yet because of his persistence he will rise and give him whatever he needs.
13 Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise. 14 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. 16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working. 17 Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed fervently that it might not rain, and for three years and six months it did not rain on the earth. 18 Then he prayed again, and heaven gave rain, and the earth bore its fruit.
How to Pray
• Prayer insights – Learn how to pray about going, involving families, prayer points for the upcoming
year, there will be a prayer calendar for the team provided by 25 Project
Details of the Expedition
• Lodging – learn specifics on lodging and accommodations
• Daily life – learn specifics on available amenities, etc in place of ministry each day
• Team member roles – learn about your team role based on your gifting worksheet
What to Pack
• Packing list – learn a few highlighted items of what to pack / not to pack, and feel free to ask any questions
Getting into the Country
• $10 Tourist Card – new team members will learn how to fill out the Tourist Card paperwork for the Santo Domingo airport